Thursday, August 13, 2009

Explicit or Assumed?

{Thoughtful Thursday}

In a post on The Village blog last week, Josh Patterson wrote on if the gospel was assumed or explicit in your relationships. Basically do people know that you've been transformed by the death and resurrection of Christ?

"Those who live life under the banner of an assumed gospel simply navigate the waters of life with an underlying foundation that is personal and meaningful. An assumed gospel often means that a person deeply values the gospel and tries to live life according to the gospel.

The issue with an assumed gospel is that it is often too personal and, therefore, becomes private. The person who lives under the assumption of the gospel often knows how it relates to their life, but nobody else does. "


I tend to lean on the assumed side. I think to myself that people will see by my example. The problem with that is that in the years and years that have gone by with me thinking this, NO ONE has ever come up to me to ask "What's different about you" not to mention I have failed time and time again on being that example.

This is something that God has put on my heart time and time again mainly because it is WRONG. When you've been in the assumed for so long with your friends, neighbors, co-workers, your passion and the very thing that your living for seem to get lost and disappear. The gospel is very personal and meaningful to me so much so that living in the assumed almost equals superficiality. Most of my friends don't know what God has done in my life when everything in me should me screaming how the wrath that God has toward my sin was poured out on Jesus Christ and I am now saved. Yes, this is my fault and I think that's why I am wrestling with this so much. But it's a good wrestle and one I need to get through.

2 comments:

April said...

loved reading this Ambs... Your love for Jesus totally encourages me. Love you, big sis

Heidi said...

Moved and inspired by your post... thanks for being so transparent. I understand and completely relate to every word of your post. I will be praying for opportunities for you (and myself) to be bold for HIM. Love you and your amazing heart,
Heidi